The association, at the Fall Meeting, shall select by ballot, the West Virginia Beekeeper of the Year from nominations submitted by member associations. To be accepted, the nomination must be received by the secretary in writing 7 days prior to the Fall Meeting. The secretary shall present the candidates to the Association. To vote a person must be a member of the WVBA. The Beekeeper of the Year award will be presented at the West Virginia Honey Festival.
Criteria for West Virginia Beekeeper of the Year Candidate:
- Own and/or currently manage or maintain honeybee colonies.
- Have an adequate working knowledge of honeybee diseases and their diagnoses and control.
- Have an adequate working knowledge of honeybee management with respect to swarm control, honey production, division, queen rearing, etc.
- Be a member and play an active role in State and Local beekeeping association functions. (Note: Member is defined as being a WVBA member).
- Be active in local beekeeping education and honey promotion.
- The nominee’s spouse is encouraged to be included.