Required Reading for Apprentice Level Examinations
Beekeeping Basics published by the Penn State Extension. The book, priced at $10 (plus shipping), can be ordered at the website www.extension.psu.edu/publications or by calling (877) 345-0691
Suggested Reading List for Apprentice Level Examinations – Books
1) Honey Bees and Beekeeping: A Year in the Life of an Apiary, 3rd Edition – Keith Delaplane (2007)
2) The Beekeeper’s Handbook, 4th Edition – Diana Sammataro, Alphonse Avitabile, Dewey M. Caron (2011)
3) First Lessons in Beekeeping – Keith Delaplane (2007)
4) The Backyard Beekeeper, Revised and Updated: An Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden – Kim Flottum (2010)
5) Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping – Dewey Caron (2013)
Suggested Reading List for Apprentice Level Examinations – Periodicals
1) American Bee Journal
2) Bee Culture
Suggested Websites List for Apprentice Level Examinations
1) Scientific Beekeeping by Randy Oliver http://scientificbeekeeping.com/
2) Mid-Atlantic Apicultural Research and Extension Consortium
3) Ohio State University http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/beekeeping_class/
4) Honey Bee Health Coalition’s Tools For Varroa Management https://honeybeehealthcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/HBHC-Guide_Varroa_Interactive_7thEdition_June2018.pdf
Required Reading for Certified Level Examination includes apprentice level plus
1) The Beekeeper’s Handbook (fourth edition). Sammataro, D., and A. Avitabile. 2011. Comstock Publishing Associates
2) The Backyard Beekeeper (forth edition). Flottum, Kim. Quarry Books. 2018
Suggested Reading List for Certified Level Examinations
1) The Hive and the Honey Bee – Dadant and Sons, Inc. (1992)
2) ABC & XYZ of Bee Culture – A.I. Root (2007)
3) Honey Bee Pests, Predators, and Diseases, 3rd Edition – A.I. Root (Morse and Flottum, eds.) (1998)
Required Reading for Master Level Examination includes previous levels plus
1) A Field Guide to Honey Bees and Their Maladies. AGRS-116. 2011. Maryann Frazier, D. M. Caron, D. vanEnglesdorp. Pennsylvania State University Extension Publication. Excellent field guide with many photographs. The book, priced at $12 (plus shipping), can be ordered at the website www.extension.psu.edu/publications or by calling (877) 345-0691. A 90-page PDF version can be downloaded at http://extension.psu.edu/publications/agrs-116.
2) Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping (Chapters 12-20). 2013. Dewey M. Caron, Lawrence John Connor. Wicwas Press
Required Websites for Master Level Examination
1) Diagnosis of Honey Bee Diseases. USDA ARS Agriculture Handbook 690. 2000 (updated). Hachiro Shimanuki, D. Knox. Available as pdf: www.ars.usda.gov/is/np/honeybeediseases/honeybeediseases.pdf
Suggested Reading List for Master Level Examinations
1) What Do You Know? 2003, reprinted 2014. Clarence Collison. A.I. Root Company. An excellent study guide in question and answer format.
2) Honeybee Democracy. 2010. Thomas Seeley. Princeton University Press. Excellent coverage of how social honey bees function as a superorganism.
3) The Backyard Beekeeper’s Honey Handbook: A Guide to Creating, Harvesting, and Cooking with Natural Honeys. 2009. Kim Flottum. Quayside Publishing. Comprehensive information about honey from flower to table.
5) Queen rearing Essentials. L. J. Connor. Wicwas Press. A companion book to Bee Sex Essentials. Covers grafting and raising queens.